New Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer DLC Announced: ‘Retaliation’
New multiplayer DLC for Mass Effect 3 was announced this morning in the form of Mass Effect 3: Retaliation. BioWare and EA claim that it’s the “largest downloadable content pack to-date for Mass Effect 3.”
Instead of adding new maps, the pack opts to add “treacherous environmental hazards to existing maps”, and will also incorporate a new enemy faction to multiplayer: the Collectors. Additionally, Retaliation will include a new challenge system that offers rewards to players who accomplish specific feats in multiplayer matches – you’ll even be able to fully track and compare your progress on these challenges, so you know how close you are to landing the next reward.
Finally, there are also new weapons, class kits and upgrades.
Here are the modes and additions as BioWare describes them:
- New “Hazard” Versions of Existing Maps – Wage war across six maps as a regular rotation of Firebases will be introduced to different hazards and traps. Survive the onslaught of Acid, Lightening, Meltdowns, Sandstorms, Swarms and Whiteouts!
- New Deadly Enemy Faction – Prepare to face off against the Collector Praetorian, Scion, Abomination, Trooper, and Captain. Reports have also come in that Cerberus has enlisted the Dragoon to their ranks and the Geth are deploying new Drones to the battlefield.
- New Unlockable Weapons – The Collectors have also brought deadly new weapons to the fight: the Collector Assault Rifle, Sub-Machine Gun, and Sniper Rifle. Unlock these weapons and new equipment upgrades to build to your arsenal.
- New Class Kits to Unlock – A host of new characters have joined the war to fight this new threat, including the Turian Havoc Soldier and Turian Ghost Infiltrator. Additional class kits will be added as the weeks progress.
- New Powerful Upgrades – Outfit your weapons with three new ammo modifications and fortify your gear with five unique upgrades to defeat even the toughest foes.
- New Multiplayer Challenge Feature – Think you are the best soldier in the Alliance? Make sure to track your progress in the new “Challenges” database. Complete various multiplayer assignments and feats of strength to unlock titles and banners to display in-game, and then compare your progress against your friends.
Mass Effect 3: Retaliation will launch in North America and Europe on October 9 via Xbox Live and Origin. On the PlayStation Network, the DLC will launch in North America on October 9 as well, but a day later (the 10) in Europe.
Best of all, it’s totally free.