Capcom Celebrates 25 Years of Street Fighting with Ginormous Collector’s Set
As some of you may know, this year celebrates the 25th anniversary of Capcom’s hit franchise, Street Fighter. And what better way to celebrate than a high priced collectible that only crazy people will buy? TRICK QUESTION THERE IS NO BETTER WAY TO CELEBRATE.
So check this thing out: Capcom is going to be releasing the Street fighter 25th Anniversary Collector’s Set on September 18 at a price of $149.99, and it’s chock full of games and other stuff you’ll probably put in a closet unless your significant other is cool with you displaying your nerd pride out in public. What kinds of stuff? Well, let’s begin at the beginning.
- GAMES. How many games? You’ll have PlayStation 3- and Xbox 360-playable versions of Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, Street Fighter III 3rd Strike Online Edition, Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition with all costume DLC, and Street Fighter X Tekken with all character and costume DLC. BLAM. That’s a lot of goddamn games. No Street Fighter number one, though…which is a bummer…
- VIDEO. You’ll get a two-disc Blu-Ray set with a documentary on the impact of the franchise on fans and gaming, as well as Street Fighter IV and Super Street Fighter IV anime movies, including every episode of the Street Fighter animated series and Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie. These are all probably really good.
- LIGHT-UP RYU STATUE. It’s a statue of Ryu that lights up.
- MUSIC. There’s going to be an 11-disc soundtrack featuring all the music from all the games, including remixes and fan-created music. So if you’re looking for some new phone ringtones, this thing has you covered. Other than that…eh. I doubt people will want to keep riding with you after you insist on going through every disc in the car.
- BOOK. An art book with fan pieces as well as pro pieces…64 pages and hardcover.
- BELT. It’s Ryu’s belt!
- CERTIFICATE. A certificate of authenticity so that you KNOW you didn’t get one of the many knock-off sets that people will be selling at Street Fighter tournaments. Yup.
Did I just mention Street Fighter tournaments? I did? Funny that: Capcom’s going to be holding a bunch of tournaments globally where the best world warriors can compete for $500,000 in cash and non-cash prizes. Here’s their list of tournaments:
- July 28-29 in Austin, TX
- August 11-12 in the NY area (location pending)
- August 26 in Taipei, Taiwan (location pending)
- Mid-September in the Tokyo Region, Japan (date and location pending)
- September 27-30 in London, England (in conjunction with Eurogamer Expo)
- October 13-14 in Sao Paulo, Brazil (in conjunction with Brazil Game Show)
- October 27-28 in Los Angeles, CA
- October 31 – November 4 in Paris, France (in conjunction with Paris Games Week)
- December 8 Finals in San Francisco, CA
That’s a lot of Street Fighter stuff. Happy anniversary. After all this, what the hell are they gonna do for the 30th anniversary?